Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Adam Chandler



Adam Chandler who played many roles at PCPH, is now a working New York actor. In early 2010, he returned to Indiana to appear in two musicals at Beef & Boards Dinner Theater. He was in Footloose and Hello, Dolly!

While at PCPH he appeared in musicals such as West Side Story and Once Upon a Mattress;. He also had the leading role of Jack in Into the Woods.


Here is a blog interview with Adam from Aoril, 2010.



Adam Chandler is one of the dancing waiters greeting Dolly (Iris Lieberman) in "Hello, Dolly!" at Beef & Boards Theater now through May 2. (Photos courtesy of Beef & Boards)

Adam Chandler says he knew when he was 7 years old and growing up in Stilesville that he wanted to be an actor, knowing even then it would a difficult but rewarding career. "I knew at a very young age I wanted to be in the spotlight," he admitted.

And now, at the age of 29, he is.

He is now based in New York, but at present he is "home in Indiana" appearing in "Hello, Dolly" at Beef & Boards, through May 2. He just completed their run of "Footloose", during which friends from out here went to see him. While he is at Beef & Boards, he will have earned his Actors Equity card, which will open more professional doors for him.

"You have to work toward it, and I'm grateful to earn it where I got my professional start, Beef & Boards," he said. "It is a wise choice for an actor if they are ready. You cannot work on a Broadway stage unless you are Equity."

Even without that important card, however, Adam has been doing pretty well in his field, and without really knowing it, many of us may have seen him at work.

"I work normally at the Duplex Piano and Cabaret Bar in the West Village in New York as a singing bartender," he said. "I have been seen on 'Gossip Girl', 'Law and Order', 'Law and Order: Criminal Intent', and MTV. The highlight of 2009 for me was dancing in Times Square for the Broadway on Broadway Concert, to the tune of 'We Can't Stop the Beat' from 'Hairspray' for Buick."

Some of his roles have been big, some small, some leading man, and some non-speaking, "and more dancing chorus boy roles than I can count", he pointed out, "but all have built my resume and character."

The son of Jerry and Vyann Chandler of Stilesville, Adam graduated from Cascade High School in 1999. While at Cascade, he appeared in "Babes in Arms", "Sound of Music", "Once Upon a Mattress", "Wizard of Oz" and "Bye, Bye Birdie". Also, he appeared in several productions at the Civic here.

He graduated from Ball State University in 2004, and lived in Indianapolis for four years before "moving to NYC to pursue my dreams and aspirations. Leaving behind my family and a special someone was the hardest, yet one of the most enriching, experiences of my life," he said.

Like many other aspiring young actors, he has had to do "survival jobs." He's been a barista, waiter, singing bartender, administrative assistant, temp, and others. "The most embarrassing had to be promotional work dressed as a giant lobster," he added. "Don't ask.."

But as noted, he does get acting jobs, and finds that "meeting and working with many famous film, TV and Broadway stars is humbling. It also drives me to work further towards my own goals of reaching the Broadway stage."

As an Equity actor, his professional name will be--Adam Chandler. Which is pretty perfect, although if you look up "Adam Chandler" on the web, the most likely reference will be to a character in the soap opera, "All My Children". I had to ask if that ever created a problem for him.

It has been, he said, both a blessing and a curse. "I've met many people from 'All My Children' who always make a joke about it. It's been an ice-breaker that opens many doors at auditions and work-related functions," he said.

"Having been raised on a farm has provided a bigger stage that even some of Broadway's best," he said. "My amazing family as always supported my talents and enriched my growth through 4-H, Boy Scouts, and good old hard work.

"Being an actor isn't about the fame and fortune," he went on, "but about sharing the human experience. In this ever-changing world, bad economy and unsure daily situations, I am blessed because I get to play for a living! Helping others escape the reality of life and enjoy what entertainment, especially theater, can provide is very inspiring."

For a complete show schedule and times, you can go to www.beefandboards.com.
Dolly Levi and the Waiters!

No comments:

Post a Comment